Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Contemplating PGD

In yesterday's post, I mentioned that Dr. Z. lost me during the PGD part of his recommendation. After the appointment, Paul and I talked and preliminarily decided against PGD because of a) the cost (another $5,000-7,000 on top of what we'll already pay), and b) because "it doesn't matter" (since we were only going to try this once, knowing whether our embryos were normal before a BFN (big fat negative pregnancy test) wouldn't change anything).

On the way to work this morning, though, I started thinking about this more. PGD samples a single cell from each 6-8 cell embryo on day 3. This sampling has no impact on a healthy embryo's ability to continue growing and dividing (but can ruin abnormal ones). The results are returned from the outside lab (in Nevada) on the morning of day 5 (embryo transfer day). One or more embryos that tested normally and are high quality are transferred; any extra normal ones that remain can be frozen.

If we do PGD, only those healthy embryos (those free of the main genetic disorders, like Downs (not fatal), Turmers (usually fatal) and Potters (always fatal) chromosomal disorders) would be transferred to my uterus. There's a chance we'd have no healthy embryos, in which case we'd be out the entire $15,000-18,000 for the cycle. At the same time, if we did have healthy embryos and were able to freeze extras, all may not be lost...a BFN the first time could lead to a $3,000 frozen embryo transfer (FET) of one or more *known* genetically normal embryos the next time...therefore knocking our anti-PGD reason "b" out of the water.

PGD is 95-98% accurate. There's a tiny statistical drop in the number of PGD embryos that survive thaw for FET (92-95% versus 97-98%). There is a significant decrease in the miscarriage rate for normal PGD embryos versus regular IVF embryo transfer. Due to my age, it's possible a big portion of my eggs are abnormal, so PGD is actually warranted.

It's too early to say what route we'll take. At this point, Paul is completely unaware of where my brain is on this topic (although I wouldn't be surprised if he's having the exact same thoughts!). I do think further discussion is in order...


  1. Whatever you decide will be right for you. I remember that I had some fears about genetic stuff during my last pregnancy, that memory would drive the choice, if it were me. I am sending you lots of love and prayers your HP gives you wisdom, clarity and peace around all your decisions. Deane

  2. We are also considering PGS/PGD for our next IVF...I am hoping that having some sense of what proportion of our embryos are genetically competent will help us with decision-making moving forward. Thinking of you as you make these choices and move forward. I was really happy to read that you felt comfortable with this last RE - that is really great.

  3. I wish you the best in your decision making. I know it is not an easy one to make. I too would consider it if we were doing IVF after the rollercoaster of my pregnancy before our loss. I will be here to support you with whatever direction you decide to go in.

  4. Hey there! Playing catch up! So glad you like the new dr! I'm excited for you and hope that Oct brings good news!!

  5. I am thinking about you. We have had the IVF discussion recently and aren't quite sure how to come up with the money for it. Ours would be $14,000 which includes meds - we haven't gotten into too much detail but I think we might need to set up the full consultation with my RE just to know what we would be looking at. Thankfully my AMH is great so I think I am a good candidate, but I have to lose 40 pounds first which I know I could do if I knew what it was for. I'm actually planning on starting now to lose the weight because I should.


What are your thoughts?