Sunday, October 7, 2012

Perfect timing

Today's SD11 monitoring appointment was amazing! I'm still a little shocked, especially since it started with me getting stuck in the elevator for a few minutes before I got it to return to the first floor...where, apparently, I was supposed to have gone first, but the security guard hadn't put the sign up to tell me that, so... Yeah. Apparently it happened to someone else yesterday. Dr. H. wasn't amused. Neither was my blood pressure: 160/100 (but rechecked later at 132/85, whew!).

After that stellar BP, I was stone silent, waiting for the sky to fall as Dr. H. started the scan. Then I heard, "Right ovary: Twenty. Nineteen. Nineteen times two. Nineteen times three. Seventeen. Sixteen. Left ovary: Thirteen. Ten...no, wait, scratch that one, too small. Endometrium 11.2, trilaminar." My eyes were wide by this point...because what began sounding ominous turned into OMG! She said, "Amy, this is really good!"

My estradiol (E2) was 922, also great. For reference, I conceived the twins with a peak E2 of 867, which sucks for a peak. I will have my E2 rechecked tomorrow and it should be higher yet...like, normal. Normal? Me?! Holy cow!

So...Paul is to give me the trigger shot tonight at 8:30 sharp smack in the Sharpie target Dr. H. drew on my ass (the only shot in the ass this time, WOOHOO!), I go in for a quick blood draw first thing in the a.m. (Monday morning Seattle traffic, oh, joy), then we'll go in for egg retrieval at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday! (We're going to spend the night up in Seattle so we won't be late. We have to be there by 7:30 a.m. if we spend the night in Seattle and he provides his sample in our hotel room (I have a sterile cup for it, which I then have to stick in my bra to keep the little soldiers the right body temperature), otherwise, we have to come in 1.5 hours early so he can provide a sample at the clinic.

(One aside, as I told my mom this morning: Given IVF pregnancies are calculated based on egg retrieval date (as sort of a medically-induced ovulation), I had resigned myself to watching the calendar turn to a new gestational week of pregnancy every Wednesday again, like it did with the twins. I wasn't looking forward to that, but it was what it was...except now, it isn't! With ER on Tuesday, gestational week changes will also be Tuesday, a day that holds NO historical/emotional weight for me. Double WOOHOO!)

I did ask Dr. H. about the drugs they'll use, and she assured me that not only do they not use Demerol (just Propofol and Versed), but she's never had a patient get sick like I was after cyst aspiration. I also asked about anti-anxiety meds prior to surgery, which were suggested by the MFM last week, and she said while she doubts they'll let me have anything orally, she'll touch bases with the anesthesiologists tomorrow and ask them to give me something right when they take me back. I don't need to go scaring anyone with my anxiety-fueled high blood pressure!

9 comments:

  1. So, for those of us who haven't gone through IVF before, are the measurements you mention above the follicles? Are there eggs in each of the follicles? Do they retrieve how ever many good ones there are and fertilize those? So you potentially will have nine eggs fertilized? Is your doctor still only willing to put one back in?
    This is so exciting and nerve-racking even for an outsider, I can't even imagine what you're feeling. Fingers and toes crossed that this IT!!!

    Gabrielle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Gabrielle,

      I suspect I need to write a post on this since I'm sure our families are wondering, too! Stay tuned...

      Delete
  2. I've never left a comment but have been following your blog since our twins were born to early on 28 February. I want you to know you're both in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Amy, that is great news! I am so hoping for you. I think staying the night beforehand is a great idea. Seattle traffic sucks. Do you have a day or two off afterwards to recoup?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A, I'm planning to go back to work on Wednesday, provided I'm not sick or in pain, because I just don't have enough leave left to burn. I've been hoarding everything I can in anticipation of at least one week of bed rest with my next pregnancy. :|

      Delete
  4. Awesome! Awesome! And Awesome! Every thing sounds great... follie sizes, E2 numbers, etc. You are on a roll! I'm so glad that the baby's gestational week will change on Tuesdays as well.

    I had to laugh at the part about you taking the sterile cup to the clinic in your bra. I have done that many times since DH always produced his sample at home and then we drove it over (10 minute drive). :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear that everything seems to be progressing well. Hoping to hear more good news soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad everything is on track:) Got my FX and breath held for this week!
    I will be staying tuned. GL!!

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?