Tuesday, April 16, 2013

29 weeks

How Far Along: 29 weeks today. E2 should be the size of an acorn squash or a spaghetti squash, a little more than 15 inches long, crown to heel, and about 2.2 pounds. We know he's heavier than that, though (see below)...

Total Weight Gain/Loss: I give up. My scale still says I'm gaining quite a bit, but neither Dr. M.'s nor Dr. C.'s indicated a problem, so... ??

Maternity Clothes: Yep.

Movement: E2 was a pretty good mover this week. He gets hiccups roughly 4-5 times during the day. I still haven't figured out his real sleep/wake patterns yet. Dr. C. advised me to start kick counts and to do them in the evening (evening/dinner time varies for us, so I'll have to pick a time). Last night he was pretty active about 7:45.

Sleep: So so.

Gender: A baby brother for Aliya and Bennett.

Symptoms: Stuffy nose (allergies), aches and pains in my pelvis/lower belly and lower back, occasional nausea, fatigue, swollen ankles by 3:00 or so daily (it's getting earlier every few days!), leg cramps during the early morning (only when I'm about to get up to pee, and they're not too painful - yet). New this week: two little areas of red stretch marks on my lower belly. Boo! :(

Cravings: None.

Belly Button In or Out: Still mostly in, turning inside out a little bit more at the top. I've had a couple of bouts of sharp pains to the right and just above my belly button this afternoon. Not sure what that's about, but if it continues, I'll call Dr. M.

Freak-out of the Week: If I had one (and I may have), I honestly can't remember. My brain is mush.

Looking Forward To: Our next milestone, 32 weeks (and my baby shower on May 11th!).

Next Appointment: Monday, April 22nd for another cervical length ultrasound.

Miscellaneous: Our appointments last week went well. I passed my glucose challenge test Monday (but didn't find out until Wednesday). I don't know what my actual number was, only that Sierra said (since Dr. M. didn't bother to call with results) I passed easily. Given their cutoff is 130, 10 points lower than UW's, I was thrilled.

Then we had our first growth scan on Thursday at UW. That was kind of fun...we hadn't gotten a good look at E2 in awhile (Paul hadn't seen him since 20 weeks!), so it was cool to see him yawn, and to see him all folded up with his feet over his head. :) The tech went really fast, so we didn't get great looks at anything. She measured his head, abdomen, femur and humerus to calculate growth. Paul could read the screen better than I could, but I did pay attention. His arm and leg measurements continue to be right on track (he measured 28w4d at 28w2d). His noggin is still large - two weeks ahead. His abdomen is STILL 3 weeks ahead. This time, we didn't get an average of those like we did at 20 weeks. Nope, this time, the tech left to review the images with the radiologist on duty, and then came back and said we were good, but that he's weighing 3 pounds 6 ounces, which puts him in the 80th percentile for growth...and over a pound ahead for his gestation at that time. Huh. That freaked me out a little bit.

We saw Dr. C. awhile later. She was happy with his results, but did mention his size, and thinks I may be one of those rarer cases (of course) that develops late onset gestational diabetes...meaning, even though I easily passed my 1-hour test on Monday, his growth indicates something else could be going on. Then again, Paul and I both were over 8 pounds at birth, so maybe this is normal for our offspring. She wants to see me again at 32 weeks and do another growth scan, and said if he continues on this three-weeks-ahead trajectory with his abdomen, she'll err on the side of caution, send me off to a nutritionist, and have me start monitoring my blood sugar with a home monitor. Bummer...but then again, I'd much rather be treated for GD if I'm going to have it (since if it's caught too late it can't be treated) and avoid having a whopper of a baby. Dr. M.'s feeling that I could fit an 8 pounder through my pelvis has been ringing through my head since last Thursday. :|

E2 at 28 weeks 2 days. That's a foot next to his forehead,
and knuckles/fingers by his heel. Our little acrobat! :)

 
The belly at 29 weeks (in a maternity tee).


2 comments:

  1. Love the acrobat picture! The weeks keep plugging along...

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of my babies have been big healthy babies and I think I am an average size woman. Layton was my smallest at 8lbs 7 oz and he was a little over 2 weeks early and my 4 year old was over 10 lbs and I had them all vaginally. I think it is great they are monitoring you so closely, but I wouldn't freak out about it if he continues to measure on the bigger scale. I never had gestational and my body just grows big babies...big healthy babies :)

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?