Monday, November 21, 2011

The great suck

Today was my big day: the follow-up ultrasound to see what has become of the cyst on my right ovary. I've felt some "activity" in both ovaries over the last several days, which was curious and a little disheartening, given the birth control pills and Lupron shots I've been dutifully taking, and yesterday evening I had pain in my right ovary, ranging from a 5 to an 8 on a scale of 1-10. Very curious indeed. I had a little hope that perhaps the thing burst and that's why I was in pain, but I wasn't holding my breath.

Good thing, too, because the cyst is still there! Not only that, but I ovulated from that same side. That pain? It did feel familiar, and that's because it was the same pain I get every time I ovulate (always more severe when I ovulate from the right). It was just regular old Mittleschmerz (the medical name for ovulation pain, from the Germans).

So, Dr. M. ordered a serum progesterone to confirm his suspicion that I did in fact ovulate, and scheduled a cyst aspiration for Friday morning at 9:30. I'm allowed no food or water after midnight the night before, but that shouldn't be a problem because I'm sure I'll be stuffed from Thanksgiving dinner beyond any level of comfort long before then. I asked if our next IUI cycle would be delayed because of this, and he said no. He also said the full strength Lupron should essentially force my pituitary gland into a menopausal state (hot flashes are possible), so that when we start the next IUI cycle all my follicles should be starting at about the same starting gate, instead of having a couple further ahead or behind the others. That's a relief (about the follicles, not put into menopause for 14 days).

See, this low expectations thing really worked for me. I'm not devastated, I didn't cry, actually laughed instead (and my, "Aren't I just so special?" comment made Dr. M. smile, too). This will all be ok...I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?